Entry Regulation and Visas

Most people need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada – not both. Some people may only need their valid passport. Find out what you need by going here.


Please refer to the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website to learn about a temporary resident visa (visitor visa) and the process to apply for one. Please note that visa applications are considered on a case-by-case basis based on the information presented by the applicant. The onus is on the applicant to show that they meet the requirements for a temporary resident visa. While a special event code has been assigned to ICPEAC 2023, it does not offer any advantage to the applicant, in terms of a positive visa outcome. The applicant must meet all the eligibility criteria in order to be granted a visa. Processing times for visa applications vary depending on the visa office and the time of the year. Participants are encouraged to check the processing times calculator for guidance, but generally it is recommended to apply at least 12 weeks in advance of the departure date to ensure that the registrant receives the visa in time for the start of the event.


Since November 10, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals must have an eTA to fly to or transit through Canada. Exemptions include U.S. citizens, and travelers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents are not eligible to apply for an eTA.